Thu 25 Jul 2013
The IcedTea project provides a harness to build the source code from OpenJDK using Free Software build tools, along with additional features such as a PulseAudio sound driver and support for alternative virtual machines.
This release updates our OpenJDK 7 support to include support for the ARM32 JIT port running on HotSpot 23, meaning ARM users can move to the 2.3.x series. Note: There will be no more 2.1.x releases.
In addition, IcedTea includes the usual IcedTea patches to allow builds against system libraries and to support more esoteric architectures. In this release, use of the system version of LCMS is again enabled by default, but requires version 2.5 or above.
If you find an issue with the release, please report it to our bug database under the appropriate component. Development discussion takes place on the distro-pkg-dev OpenJDK mailing list and patches are always welcome.
Full details of the release can be found below.
New in release 2.3.11 (2013-07-24)
- System LCMS 2 support again enabled by default, requiring 2.5 or above.
- ARM Port
- Add arm_port from IcedTea 6
- Add patches/arm.patch from IcedTea 6
- Add patches/arm-debug.patch from IcedTea 6
- Add patches/arm-hsdis.patch from IcedTea 6
- Added jvmti event generation for dynamic_generate and compiled_method_load events to ARM JIT compiler
- Adjust saved SP when safepointing.
- First cut of invokedynamic
- Fix trashed thread ptr after recursive re-entry from asm JIT.
- JIT-compilation of ldc methodHandle
- Rename a bunch of misleadingly-named functions
- Changes for HSX22
- Changes for HSX23
- Corrected call from fast_method_handle_entry to CppInterpreter::method_handle_entry so that thread is loaded into r2
- Don’t save locals at a return.
- Fix call to handle_special_method(). Fix compareAndSwapLong.
- Fix JIT bug that miscompiles org.eclipse.ui.internal.contexts.ContextAuthority.sourceChanged
- invokedynamic and aldc for JIT
- Modified safepoint check to rely on memory protect signal instead of polling
- PR1188: ASM Interpreter and Thumb2 JIT javac miscompile modulo reminder on armel
- PR1363: Fedora 19 / rawhide FTBFS SIGILL
- Remove C++ flags from CC_COMPILE and fix usage in zeroshark.make.
- RTC Thumb2 JIT enhancements.
- Use ldrexd for atomic reads on ARMv7.
- Use unified syntax for thumb code.
The tarball can be downloaded from:
- 0f6ebdb217731fe64a259389c45dafc4759ce565647a6281c0afaccf3bb39f51 icedtea-2.3.11.tar.gz
The tarball is accompanied by a digital signature available at:
This is produced using my public key. See details below.
- PGP Key: 248BDC07 (https://keys.indymedia.org/)
- Fingerprint = EC5A 1F5E C0AD 1D15 8F1F 8F91 3B96 A578 248B DC07
The following people helped with these releases:
- Andrew Dinn (ARM32 port)
- Andrew Haley (ARM32 port)
- Andrew Hughes (LCMS changes, release management)
- Chris Phillips (ARM32 port, including PR1363 and HSX23 work)
- Xerxes Rånby (PR1188)
We would also like to thank the bug reporters and testers!
To get started:
$ tar xzf icedtea-2.3.11.tar.gz $ mkdir icedtea-build $ cd icedtea-build $ ../icedtea-2.3.11/configure $ make
Full build requirements and instructions are available in the INSTALL file.