[As sent to distro-pkg-dev]

I’d like to do a couple of new releases of both 6 & 7 by the end of this week (Friday the 25th of January, 2013). This will enable us to get some fixes out to users that are lurking only in HEAD. This is particularly true of 6 where the last major release is nearly a year ago (30th of January, 2012). Note that 2.4.0 is already tagged in the forest, so any remaining changes prior to release will only take place in IcedTea7.

These release will also make the upcoming security release easier, as we will then update them rather than the aging 1.10 and 2.2, as stated in the release policy. In particular, it is becoming painful to maintain 1.10 as it has two HotSpot releases. Others are, of course, welcome to update these releases if they so wish.

I intend to delay creating branches for these releases until after the release, as neither repository is particularly high traffic at the moment. Please bear this in mind if you intend to commit work this week, and perhaps consider delaying it until the week after if it will be fairly disruptive.

If anyone has objections to the release of 1.12 and 2.4 this Friday, please reply to this mail as soon as possible. I’m unwilling to delay them much further as we get closer to the update, and I’d rather not be bundling feature updates with security updates.

The security update will still bring updates for 1.11, 2.1 and 2.3 (2.1 being for the ARM32 port), so an option remains between the new releases and the old.