Wed 25 May 2011
We are pleased to announce a new major release of IcedTea7, 1.14! This will be the final preview release. The next release of IcedTea7 will be based on the first release of OpenJDK7 and we propose to start versioning of such releases from 2.0, allowing the IcedTea6/7 differentation to be dropped if required.
The IcedTea project provides a harness to build the source code from OpenJDK7 using Free Software build tools and against system libraries, together with a number of local extensions such as a PulseAudio sound provider.
- NetX and the plugin moved to the IcedTea-Web project with a separate release cycle.
- Builds using system LCMS by default.
- Added out-of-the-box JamVM support using –enable-jamvm
- Allow building of JamVM beside the default VM by using –with-additional-vms=jamvm
- Allow the location of the JamVM source zip to be specified using –with-jamvm-src-zip
- JamVM builds can bootstrap and are self-hosting.
- Bug fixes
- PR616, PR99: Don’t statically link libstdc++
- PR714: Forwardport replace-hotspot support from IcedTea6.
- PR103: Usage of native2ascii during bootstrap
- PR543: zero fails to build on icedtea7 trunk 20100907
- PR715: Port updated macros from IcedTea6 to 7
- PR732: Use xsltproc for bootstrap xslt in place of Xerces/Xalan
- Ignore all unknown options.
- Handle overflow in getPhysicalMemory().
- Base default min and max heap size on physical memory.
- Fix reflective array access.
- Handle O_DELETE in JVM_Open.
- Minor performance improvement on ARM.
- First set of changes to support JamVM/OpenJDK on MacOS X.
- Minor memory leak (missing free).
- Handle integer overflow on i386/amd64.
- On ARM, force interpreter to be built in ARM mode.
- MIPS: 64-bit and interpreter inlining by default.
- Trivial implementation of stubs for MIPS.
- PR640: JamVM fails to build – Unrecognised option: -XX:ThreadStackSize.
- Threadlist & threadobject improvements.
- Ignore all unknown options, but report them.
- Fixes build for newer gcc (at least 4.4) on PPC64, breaks older gcc.
- CA123: LD_LIBRARY_PATH and java.library.path.
- CA143: don’t hang with invalid locale.
- CA144: aligned patchers on x86_64.
- CA148: support for LCMP bytecode.
- CA152: Calling Policy.setPolicy with a new Policy object has no effect on the DefaultSecurityManager.
- CA156: uncaughtExceptionHandler doesn’t work with OpenJDK 6 b21.
- CA157: ARM SMP Assertion thinlock failed.
- Match Shark in icedtea6, makes OSR work by removing vestigal check.
- LLVM 2.7 non-product fixes.
- Correct suffix for the llvm.atomic.cmp.swap intrinsic.
The tarball can be downloaded from:
The following people helped with this release:
- Gary Benson
- Deepak Bhole
- Andrew John Hughes
- Matthias Klose
- Denis Lila
- Omair Majid
- Damien Raude-Morvan
- Xerxes Rånby
- Pavel Tisnovsky
- Mark Wielaard
We would also like to thank the bug reporters and testers!
To get started:
$ tar xzf icedtea-1.14.tar.gz $ cd icedtea-1.14
Full build requirements and instructions are in INSTALL:
$ ./configure [--enable-zero --enable-pulse-java --enable-systemtap ...] $ make