Fri 27 Mar 2009
(Delayed announcement here because this blog was down)
We are pleased to announce the release of IcedTea7 1.9!
IcedTea7 provides a means to build OpenJDK7 build drops using Free software tools, in addition to a number of additional features including additional platform support via the Zero/Shark and CACAO virtual machines, and the only Free 64-bit Java web plugin.
New in release 1.9 (2009-03-20)
Security fixes for:
- CVE-2008-5360 – Temporary files have guessable file names.
- CVE-2008-5350 – Allows to list files within the user home directory.
- CVE-2008-5348 – Denial-Of-Service in kerberos authentication.
- CVE-2008-5359 – Buffer overflow in image processing.
- CVE-2008-5351 – UTF-8 decoder accepts non-shortest form sequences.
- CVE-2008-5356 – Font processing vulnerability.
- CVE-2008-5353 – Calendar object deserialization allows privilege escalation.
- CVE-2008-5354 – Privilege escalation in command line applications.
- CVE-2008-5357 – Truetype Font processing vulnerability.
- CVE-2008-5352 – Jar200 Decompression buffer overflow.
- CVE-2008-5358 – Buffer Overflow in GIF image processing.
- Updated to OpenJDK7 b50 build.
- XRender pipeline support: Java2D are noticably faster and running over a remote X connection feels like it is all local. Build by default (disable with –disable-xrender). Runtime enabled by running java -Dsun.java2d.xrender=True (default is to use the old X renderer for now).
- IcedTeaPlugin now supports HTTPS sites and adds a user prompt for untrusted https certificates.
- Use the ALSA ‘default’ device. Makes Java play nicer with PulseAudio.
- VisualVM integration updated to 1.1.1
- Gervill soft synthesizer integration updated to latest CVS version.
- Integrated jtreg upgraded to 4_0-src-b02-15_oct_2008.
- make check runs much faster now. jtreg -samevm support has been integrated into the langtools and jdk subsystems. Please package the test/jtreg-summary.log file with your distribution package so end users can compare the test results.
- Shark (–enable-shark) now builds on 64 bit platforms, but is a pre-alpha technology preview and not recommended for use.
- Better support for bootstrapping with different jar programs (supporting -J options).
- If –with-pkgversion isn’t given the short mercurial rev node version will be used. Package distributors are encouraged to build packages with –with-pkgversion to uniquely identify their distribution version number when java -version is run to help distribution specific bug reporting.
- Various freetype font, pisces renderer and awt X window size fixes to fix visual anomalies.
- Build fixes for gcc 4.3 and 4.4-pre-release.
- Added support for building against a specific openjdk src dir or hg revision (–with-openjdk-src-dir or –with-hg-revision).
- Many other Plugin, Zero, Shark and PulseAudio bug fixes.
- Build clean up.
The tarball can be downloaded here:
The following people helped with this release:
Gary Benson, Deepak Bhole, Andrew Haley, Andrew John Hughes, Tomas Hurka, Ioana Ivan, Matthias Klose, Omair Majid, Mark Reinhold, Christian Thalinger, Mark Wielaard, Lillian Angel
We would also like to thank the bug reporters and testers!
To get started:
$ hg clone http://icedtea.classpath.org/hg/icedtea
$ cd icedtea
Full build requirements and instructions are in INSTALL: