Mon 2 Jun 2008
We are proud to announce the release of IcedTea 1.7.
The IcedTea project provides a harness to build the source code from
OpenJDK (http://openjdk.java.net) using Free Software build tools and
provides replacements libraries for the binary plugs with code from the
GNU Classpath project. More information on IcedTea can be found at
IcedTea is based on the hard work of a lot of people that contributed to IcedTea6 (see the recent announcement of 1.2) and OpenJDK. The following noteworthy changes are included in this release (summarised by Mark Wielaard):
– Paul Hohensee published a GNU/Linux hotspot Sparc port and Matthias Klose integrated it into IcedTea.
– Keith Seiths and Andrew Haley made fixes to the awt color package so that it now provides the lcms library with PYCC and LINEAR_RGB ICC
profiles, fixing several applications that did complex color transformations.
– Karl Helgason wrote a midi software synthesizer called Gervill that
is now integrated in IcedTea so that javax.sound.midi support works
now. Mark Wielaard integrated it and made some fixes so that it works
better with javax.sound.sampled.
– Jonathan Gibbons released a free version of jtreg, which was imported into IcedTea by Mark Wielaard so that a make check now runs all the
functional unit tests integrated into OpenJDK.
– Joshua Sumali made lots of fixes to the javaws/netx support. Including improved security, namely catching Socket permissions during runtime,
implementing the remaining JNLP services api (PrintService and JNLPRandomAccessFile), and applet focusing bug fixes, so now netx
plays nice with gcjwebplugin.
– Kelly O’Hair resolved the license issues with the (j)hat tool which is now integrated.
– Lillian Angel and Tom Fitzsimmons added several .desktop files for the various tools included for better GNU/Linux desktop integration.
– Thomas Fitzsimmons rewrote the cacert support to resolve issues with applications like Glashfish and Eclipse which access the keystore
– Lillian Angel made lots of bug fixes to the packaging and integration support, include improving the font support.
– IcedTea6 1.2 and IcedTea 1.7 are completely synced up again thanks to Andrew John Hughes.
– Andrew also did all the work to make sure IcedTea is now based on OpenJDK7 b26 as released by Xiomara Jayasena.
– Thomas Fitzsimmons rewrote the certificate keystore support.
– Christian Thalinger made various cacao integration fixes.
The tarball can be downloaded here:
The following people helped with this release:
Lillian Angel, Gary Benson, Thomas Fitzsimmons, Andrew Haley, Andrew John Hughes, Matthias Klose, Dan Munckton, Parag Nemade, Keith Seitz, Joshua Sumali, Christian Thalinger, Mark Wielaard, Yi Zhan
We would also like to thank the bug reporters and testers!
Full build requirements and instructions can be found in the INSTALL
file in the top-level directory of the release. However,
should be a good start.