Fri 23 Mar 2007
Google has kindly extended the student deadline to 5pm PST on the 26th of March (which is 12am on the Tuesday, in UTC). Even so, this time is steadily approaching, so if you’re thinking of submitting an application (or several) for this year, you need to do so about now. Last night, I submitted a proposal for implementing the JMX stack on Jikes RVM, which should be an interesting task, combining my existing knowledge of this area with the new challenges of a Java-based VM that I’ve been meaning to play with for a while now.
I’ve also started pulling the FOSDEM movies from my camera, mainly because I was forced to as I needed the tape to film a lecture. I’m planning to encode in Ogg Theora/Vorbis in a range of sizes and also encode an MPEG-2 version to store on DVD (the originals are too big to keep). The first results of this can be seen
Still haven’t got round to looking at the stuff I captured at FOSDEM, and surprisingly it’s already over a week ago — how time flies. There are a few pictures, but I left most of this to Mario and Steph as they were much more well prepared and equipped than I. What I do have is video of the Runtime Rumble and a couple of the Sun talks (IIRC). I need to work out where I can dump multigigabytes worth of DV before anything else; I took two tapes full in all.
What’s been occupying my thoughts so far this week is the imminent start of Google’s Summer of Code for 2007. It starts quite a bit earlier this year (student deadline of March 24th), and with all the Sun kerfuffle, it’s a little more difficult to choose a project than I expected at the end of last year’s SoC. I don’t want to put in a proposal for something that might get shipwrecked by any imminent arrivals of Free Sun code…
I raised the matter on #classpath today, and got some good feedback. There are plenty of tasks on underlying stuff (rather than APIs) that I could tackle. Also, Ian Rogers from Jikes RVM and Tom Marble (Sun’s OpenJDK ambassador) mentioned that their respective projects may be acting as mentoring organisations, so there seems to be plenty of choice. Unfortunately, I can’t really make any firm decisions until the organisations are decided, which is the same time as student proposals open. Just have to be prepared I guess…